Uncovering JOY
1817
Hope is the theological virtue by which we desire the kingdom of heaven and
eternal life as our happiness, placing our trust in Christ's promises and
relying not on our own strength, but on the help of the grace of the Holy
Spirit. "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for
he who promised is faithful." "The Holy Spirit . . . he
poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that we might be
justified by his grace and become heirs in hope of eternal life."
When we were studying Hope, I looked up Hope in the
catechism for a definition. It made me
realize hope is not me, as one person, being Hopeful for a situation to work
out (of course, this is what happens a lot in my life I pray for things to work
out!), but it is the hope for something so much greater, which should transcend
my wanting one thing to work out! So
that has been weighing on me to look higher, like Helen said, not to look down
at the situation but up to God. So, I
really have been looking at that over Christmas time. I now realize how much this is tied into JOY!
So there are a lot of entries for joy in the catechism and the one I realize pertains
to what I have been thinking about:
2648 Every joy and suffering, every event and need
can become the matter for thanksgiving which, sharing in that of Christ, should
fill one's whole life: "Give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thess 5:18).
When I have a difficult situation and I finally give it to God (if I just try to “fix” it myself –sometimes it is a
MESS!), I pray for the situation and then I thank God. The more I thank God the more comforted I am
and that is when I SEE the joy. It
has been difficult to find the time to just BE – so many things need to be done. So I am thoughtfully taking time to
sit and pray. I also want to go to adoration. I am
trying to focus more on the understanding that I have Jesus right in front of me
all the time in the Eucharist. I so often think of how many of our ladies go to
daily mass…so beautiful! I read a booklet called “I wait for you” from
a book called “The Way of Divine Love” from Sister Josefa Menendez (1890-1923). It was a nun that Jesus appeared to and
discussed the Eucharist. I was struck by
the beauty of the words…… “Still I wait
all night and watch in the tabernacle for that soul….fervently hoping that she
will come and receive Me... that she will converse with Me with all the trust
of a bride... telling Me of her sorrows, her temptations, her sufferings…asking
My advice and begging for the graces she needs for herself or others… Perhaps
she has dependent on her or in her family souls that are in danger and far from
Me?... “Come,” I say to her, “let us discuss everything with perfect freedom…
Be concerned about sinners…Offer yourself to make reparation.. Promise Me that
at least today you will not leave Me alone…”
So, I have been trying to not focus on the myopic issues
that surround me, but instead on the higher amazing, incredible, wow!! ness of
My God, My Lord, and all the “things” that He has done for me and then as pure Love from Jesus - the Holy Spirit that is willing to indwell in the mess that I am….Hence
JOY!
And then when Deb Marley sent her reflection on the verses –
it solidified it even more for me! Thank
you for sharing Deb! Deb's reflection on two of the verses:
Phil 4:6-7
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again, rejoice! Your kindness
should be know to all. The Lord is near.
How awesome is it that Paul reminds us that we are not left alone or to our own strength, but that the Lord is near, with us, to guide us to protect and strengthen us and that knowledge in and of itself is worthy of rejoicing - To me, that knowledge of God’s presence and providence brings peace and joy - a rejoicing and gratitude in the omnipresence of God!
Romans 15:13
“May the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that
you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
I just love this verse - it really speaks to me about God’s Grace - in that God in whom hope is abundant fills me with joy and peace and fortifys my faithfulness to grow in joy and peace so that I may be full in the hope of God’s providence.. I don’t know if this makes sense- but this verse is very powerful to me and I will return to it frequently to consider its truth over and over again. - just love it!
Thank you all for your openness in bible study to enable us
to really get in there and see where the topic of Joy can take us! I am so thankful for all of you!
“Still I wait all night and watch in the tabernacle for that soul….fervently hoping that she will come and receive Me... that she will converse with Me with all the trust of a bride... telling Me of her sorrows, her temptations, her sufferings…asking My advice and begging for the graces she needs for herself or others… Perhaps she has dependent on her or in her family souls that are in danger and far from Me?... “Come,” I say to her, “let us discuss everything with perfect freedom… Be concerned about sinners…Offer yourself to make reparation.. Promise Me that at least today you will not leave Me alone…”
ReplyDelete...wow! This is so powerful! The partnership and the compassion--of Jesus with/in us, and of His desire FOR/in us with each other. He truly desires not not lose a single one of us along the way... Thank you, Lorraine!
Yes - this quote caught my attention as well- it is so amazing that God in His merciful love and desire for us,that He extends every channel possible for us to be united with his Love and Mercy and Forgiveness- even my concern for sinners, my prayers and concern for them is a channel which God affords for healing of souls who are in danger- God desires their healing to a ‘sacrificial’ extent and we can help in that regard through our prayer, petition, and trust. Mulling this message, I’m overwhelmed with peace, hope, joy in God’s desire to be close to us and bring us Peace - and thus most especially grateful. This is amazing and so powerful and yes a desire is instilled to go to adoration and continue to study His Word!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing this Lorraine!!! Amazing!
I was taught by the School Sisters of Notre Dame for 12 years. Grammar and high school I was blast to learn from these wonderful religious teachers. Going through faith, trust, hope and joy, I am brought back to a memory. It was in religious class in seventh grade. Sr. Mary Georgeanne was teaching. She explained that sometimes in life it can difficult to pray. I didn't think about it much then, but as an adult I have had difficulty praying. I have been so hurt, so depressed that praying is impossible. As I have already mentioned I then turn to hymns. I didn't realize what I was doing till thinking about Joy. Way back in 7th grade religion class long long ago, Sr. Georgeanne told us that when we hit a bad part in life, not to worry. God loves us so much, that when we can't verbalize prayers, the Holy Spirit translates our heart's prayer to God for us. I realize now why I pick hymns of Joy. In all things give thanks and rejoice in the Lord.
ReplyDelete