Monday, October 21, 2019

Early World Part One and Two


I found several things that I took away from the Early World sections the past two weeks

Looking at the whole of creation I was convicted to trust God a whole lot more!  The story of Adam and Eve and their lack of trust made me pause and realize how many times I tell God what I want and forget to trust in His divine plan.  This is my God that created everything!  He can take care of it all.

I know there are many theories out there about the details of Cain and Abel and their offerings.  There is so much to unpack in the story but it doesn’t give you much detail.  However, I was struck by the comment in the video that Cain “didn’t give God his best”.  I need to pay attention to giving God my best every day. Writing that sentence sort of made me cringe as I think of how many times I don’t think to give God my best.  That will be a lifelong journey!

The last thing I took away was showing my faith in God in words and deeds.  I know that it is important to study God’s word so that I know Who God Is.  But then it can be challenging to walk close enough to God so that I say and do what HE wants, not what I want. I don’t want a repeat of “let us make a name for ourselves” at the tower of Babel.   And that is my prayer, to remember to take a deep breath and think before I speak and act.  Those who prophesy speak to other people for their upbuilding, and encouragement and consolation. 1 Corinthians 14:3

2 comments:

  1. Your thinking about how challenging it is to walk with God is woven throughout all of Genesis. Looking back over every chapter Gods people walk, fall, ask forgiveness and move forward. Many times God intervention has to put them back on track to bring about His covenant promises. Gods purpose for his people cannot be derailed. In Genesis 49:10”The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the rulers staff from between his feet until he to whom it belongs shall come and the obedience of the nations shall be his. As I work my way thru this study using commentaries to assist me to better understand I’m seeing the pattern. It’s like the tapestry that from the back looks a mess but it’s beauty is seen on the front. So we’re the lives of our forefathers and ours until we come to the completion of Gods promise , Gods purpose. I think it’s wonderful that he graciously forgives my screw ups, picks me up, places me back on track whispering , ok Lela let’s try this again. Only this time I will hold His hand tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lela--your image of looking at the back vs the front of the tapestry is a wonderful metaphor for looking at the handiwork of God in our lives! I love it! What a mess it might look like to us when we don't see from God's perspective--just a bunch of tangles knots and loose hanging threads--even the colors don't seem to match up and the stitching certainly looks quite tentative and random. But turn it around and wow! It all comes together, all threads working beside and among each other in just the right way to form the most beautiful and intricately interwoven stories in patterns and reflections of light and color. I also love the concept that the colors of the threads themselves have particular special meaning and history--the purple ones for royalty, the golden ones for enlightenment, the red ones for sacrifice and pain, the black ones for strength in dark times. Who knows what threads God has sewn into our tapestries, right? Thank you for writing in!

    ReplyDelete